Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Palliative Care Is For Dinosaurs!

I'm getting some radiology now. It won't cure the cancer but will help with a few problematic outlying tumors.  Doc says it's "palliative care."   And that she will hook me up with palliative care docs.
You'd think that after 3 years of cancer I would have known what "Palliative Care" means.  
I always pictured that palliative care meant that you were just warehoused on a pallet somewhere.
So, Call me Clueless!  Now I'm shuffling and reading up quickly like I need to cram for a final--Yes, it IS  Final!  Darn!  OK, so WHAT is the definition of Palliative Care?

As far as I can tell, Palliative Care is the care given when you're terminal. It's not care that would fix you and make you better (like antibiotics for an infection).  
Palliative care is -- treating the symptoms with full knowledge that the treatment is NOT the cure. 
Palliative care is just makes you feel better while you cannot be cured.

My 16-year-old asked me about my health stuff, I replied that besides seeing my oncologist, I would also be seeing a doctor about palliative care.  
"So" was the reply, "you will be seeing a paleontologist?"

Well, at MY age that might not be a bad idea!

2 comments: